Friday, February 27, 2009

Chicago Trip (finally) Day One

I have been meaning to write this blog for over a week, but I finally am getting around to doing it.

Day One:

We took the Megabus down to Chicago early Monday morning. The Megabus is a coach bus line that goes to random cities for cheap, depending on how early you buy tickets. We paid about $13.00 round trip for both of us, and it was cheaper in the long run to do that and take taxis in Chicago because parking is about $30-$40 a night. We arrived in Chicago at 10, and check in at the hotel wasn't until 3, but our room was already ready so we got to check in early. The hotel was so neat, but I was sad that there was TONS of construction going on outside. Brian thought it was like a ghost hotel, and I agreed with him on that.

The first day Brian, being the lovely guy that he is, let us go to Panda Express for lunch. There aren't any in Wisconsin in our area and so I got SO excited when there was one right by our hotel. I fell in love with it while in Utah, and so I had missed Orange Chicken a lot. Then we ventured to find the Lego Store because my cousin wants the Batman legos, but we weren't able to find them :( We got to take the Subway everywhere, which to me is fun because it makes me feel like such a city girl.

We went to the top of the John Hancock building, and its like 95 stories tall I think. It was neat to see the city from so far up, and they give you headphones to listen to different clips about the city and such. It was way cool, and most of the pictures didn't work out so well, but here's a cool one I took with my phone of how the city looks from so high up!



Oh and one of the things we learned on the tour is that they clean the windows of the building 4 times a year! I can't imagine being that high up on a scaffolding thing cleaning them. They had a mock thing set up and so here is me being super happy cleaning the windows (yup I know I look like a nerd).



That night Brian took me out to a fancy schmancy dinner, which allowed us to get all dressed up! It was between Flemings (a steak house) and the Melting Pot. I chose the Melting Pot and I am so freaking glad that I did. It was the most delicious food that I have ever had. For those that don't know what it is, its a fondue restaurant. The meal we had was 4 courses, a cheese fondue (that came with bread, apples, and veggies to dip), a salad, main course (shrimp, chicken, filet mignon, veggies, and ravioli with a wine sauce), and a dessert fondue (strawberries, bananas, rice krispe treats, cheesecake, marshmallows, and brownies to dip in chocolate). It was so fun! They made all the fondue dips at your table, and it ended up taking almost 3 hours to complete our meal. Brian even fed me food like they do in movies, and it was so romantic ;) It seriously was one of the best meals I've ever had, and now I'm going to buy a fondue pot so we can have fondue dinners for dates.

No comments: